Week 7/End of Program

Hello all,

I am once again in the United States! I am writing from the desktop computer in our home, after having quickly adjusted last week from the jet lag and just now finished the first two days of school. This is the last post of my blog, and I'd like to thank all of you, one last time, for reading it all along. It has been the means by which I have reflected upon and recounted the wonderful, dynamic, and transformational summer that I spent in Seoul. I hope that it has given a small glimpse into life abroad, and I know that it has helped me to process all that happened there. In this post, I will recount all of the things that happened during my last week in Seoul, and I will offer a small reflection upon my experience.

Wednesday was the beginning of the end as we all took our final exams that morning. All relieved but starting to feel the reality of return looming over us, we went out and explored to our hearts' content! I went with a few friends to 통인 시장 (Tong-in shi-jang), a traditional market. There, one can buy tokens (in the design of 엽전 (yup-jun), Joseon-era coins), go around the market, and use the tokens to buy any foods that one wants. The food was great, and it was a fun experience. We then went to 인사동 (In-sa-dong) to do some shopping. I then met the host mom and brother of one of my friends, and together we went to a Buddhist temple and tea house in northern Seoul. On Thursday we had our final class, which consisted of writing letters to each other, learning Korean of our choice, and eating treats. After class, we had our final supporter meetings and then went to the rehearsal for our Friday completion ceremony. Friday was greatly rewarding but terribly saddening at the same time. We had our completion ceremony at Ewha in the morning. It consisted of speeches from the head of the Ewha foreign language department, an Embassy and a State Department official, two NSLI-Y students (one of whom was me), talent show performances by students, receiving of awards and certificates, and performances by the four cultural clubs (traditional dance, cooking, music, and Taekwondo). Host families attended, and it was the last time we saw our language supporters and teachers, so many tears were shed. Afterward, I went to 서래 마을 (Seo-rae ma-eul) with some friends to have some authentic French bread and look around what is sometimes called "the Montmartre of Seoul". That night was the last night with host families. We went to my host family's favorite barbeque restaurant for our final meal, then we went to Namsan Tower for a memorable last experience together! Saturday morning, I finished up gift shopping and packed up. My family took me to the youth hostel where we NSLI-Yians were to stay that night, and we said our goodbyes there. That night, we had dinner together and stayed up late enjoying each other's company. On Sunday morning we had our last opportunity to go out into the city, and I went out with a friend and a supporter to 이태원 (I-tae-wun), the international neighborhood of Seoul, where we saw the Seoul Central Mosque and ate baklava. After arriving back at the hostel and eating lunch, all 50 of us NSLI-y scholars, along with our two Resident Directors headed to the airport for our flight back home! There, we said goodbye to Min Jeong, our Resident Director who lives in Seoul, and boarded our redeye flight to Seattle. From the Seattle airport, we all flew to our hometowns after saying our final goodbyes.

For my reflection, I would like to share with you all the speech that I delivered at our completion ceremony. I will include it below. However, except for the pictures, this concludes my blog. I thank you all for taking the time to share in my experience this summer, and I wish all a good year. I will return to Korea, but in the meantime, happy travels!

My class & teachers at the ceremony

Me delivering the speech at the ceremony

Our traditional music club performing at the ceremony

Students receiving awards at the ceremony

Me with my teachers

Buddhist temple


Host mom & me at barbecue the last night

The host family at Namsan Tower the last night

Horrible quality, but taken when us D.C. kids had safely arrived!

Here's the speech:

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. 여러분 안녕하세요.
    As we prepare to leave Seoul on Sunday and move on to the next chapters of our lives, there are many various emotions flowing among us. We are refreshed - refreshed to reflect upon our time in Korea, and refreshed to spend these last few days in each other's company. We are eager - eager to return home, eager to see our families, and eager to tell our loved ones about our time here. We are also sad - sad to admit that this experience is coming to an end. However, personally, most of all, I am motivated, and I believe that motivation to be key in how we make the most out of the impact that this summer's NSLI-Y program has had upon us.
    This might seem to some an odd choice of words, or an emphasis upon the wrong takeaway, but allow me to explain in light of the experiences we have had this summer.
    Firstly, we have been challenged. The combination of rigorous language classes, the homestay experience, and free time in which to take initiative and be assertive about learning in Korea has led all of us to become higher-functioning individuals. In the immersive environment of the classes, we have grown significantly in confidence and in fluidity of speech. Our professors have pushed us to improve our language skills in all that we do, but have also displayed an unfailing willingness to help us do so. Whether it was in discovering new grammar points or having Korean conversation for an hour before we started class, we have grown significantly in the classroom. In the host home, we have been introduced to the everyday realities of life in Korea and our host families have graciously sacrificed their normal lives to teach and support us. Because of them, we have faced cultural differences and confusing cultural topics with confidence. In everything, whether it was watching Running Man every week or discussing the North Korean economy, I have experienced true community with my host family. We have also been blessed with ample free time, but this in itself was a challenge - a challenge to be proactive and to experience Seoul for ourselves. Because I was able to see Gyeongbokgung for the first time and eat meals at traditional markets or sit for hours at tea houses, my time in Seoul changed me.
    All of these challenges - classes, host family experiences, and exploration, have proven to be incredibly beneficial, but to get to the point that we are at, there have also been difficulties. At times there have arisen frustrating linguistic situations that may have made us feel helpless or even angry. However, because of the NSLI-Y support network of host families, RDs, and teachers, and because of our desire to learn, these situations have resulted in evident and lasting good. For one, we have become more complete individuals because we have improved our efficiency in language learning. This development has made us more understanding, not only linguistically, but also socially. Being in Korea has forced us into the world of realistic language learning.
    We have not only been challenged, but have overcome the challenges. Throughout this process, we have been brought out of our own narrow conceptions of reality. In the literal sense of the word, we have been educated - led out of ourselves and led toward the truth that is found in the institution that we call culture. Today, leaving this program, let me charge us all to be motivated - motivated to expand our horizons, motivated to pursue new opportunities, and motivated to learn. The more one learns, the more one realizes how little one actually knows. May we ever have a passion for intercultural understanding.

Thank you. 감사합니다.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Spend the Summer in Seoul?

Orientations & Arrival

Week 6