Week 5

Dear readers,

I hope that you are all well as you read this update.

I'm starting my second-to-last week here in Korea, and the thought of departure is looming over me. Before the weekend, I recompiled the Korea bucket list that I made before I came, and there are still over 20 items! I don't think I'll be able to knock out them all, but I will certainly be busy for the next two weeks as I attempt to. However, that is not to say that I haven't done a lot. This past weekend was enjoyably full of exploration and bonding time with host family.

I did not go on many excursions during the week because of schoolwork - last week was definitely the most intellectually fulfilling week of program simply because of the amount I learned in class. I learned several new grammar points, and being able to use them in everyday speech is indescribably satisfying. Toward the end of the week, though, when the work was winding down, I got out and experienced the arts scene of Seoul.

On Thursday after class and lunch with friends, I went to my host mother's guest house, and I, along with my host sister and mother and one of my mother's guests, went to the Chungmuro International Film Festival and watched The Phantom of the Opera with Korean subtitles. It was quite a learning experience to observe in Korean the type of language used in the film. After watching the movie, my host brother joined my host mother, sister, and me for a delicious meal of 떡볶이 (ddeok-bokk-i) at the famous Ddeokbokki Town near our apartment.

On Friday, the traditional Korean music club of which I am a member had its regular afternoon session, but this past week we had a new instructor, who approached teaching in a very different but refreshing way. After music club, I was able to go to a Korean play. It is called Dinner For You, and is about a man who receives an invitation to dinner from a man named Jesus. It was completely in Korean, so some of it went in one ear and out the other, but I understood the framework of the play, and the parts where I could understand the dialogue were very witty. I'm glad I went, and am determined to see a Korean play when I reach a higher level of fluency.

On Saturday, I went with my host dad to 창덕궁 (Chang-deok-gung), a Joseon-era palace in northern Seoul. We took a guided tour in English, and I loved the contrast with its counterpart Gyeongbokgung, where I went two weeks ago (see week 2 post). It contains 후원 (Hu-weon), which in English is called the Secret Garden, secret because the king only allowed his family into it. While the splendor of Gyeongbokgung is mainly in its architecture and size, Changdeokgung finds its beauty in its integration with nature. The garden and grounds are not meticulously kept and groomed, but are designed to enhance the beauty of nature.

On Sunday, I went in the morning with my host dad and brother to hike 북한산 (Buk-han-san), the tallest mountain in the vicinity of Seoul. We had a pleasant hike and finished it with lunch at a Buddhist temple.

Enjoy the pictures! 

The Secret Garden and the pond where the king once broke his rule and held a celebratory party with government officials after the government exam was administered - they enjoyed fishing, boating, music, food, and games in the space. This king was also famous for composing a proverb here which basically says that he is not properly fulfilling his role as king if he is able to enjoy his beautiful gardens if his country suffers.
 



 
The buildings in the living quarters of the palace are plain - all are made of white and black materials because the king wanted to create a hospitable atmosphere.
 

 

 
My host sister and me before our meal on Thursday
 
                                                                              Some pictures from the mountain:

 

                                                                                          The temple:



My mid-afternoon snack today: 번데기 (bon-dae-gi), sauteed silkwork pupae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Spend the Summer in Seoul?

Orientations & Arrival

Week 6