Week 2/Gyeongbokgung

Greetings from Korea!

I have had yet another busy week, but got some much-needed rest this past weekend. Last week was the first week of classes, and as such, it took some getting used to! I feel like I have established a rhythm, a daily routine, and I look forward to expanding that routine to allow for more exploration every day.

Last Monday we took placement tests, and Tuesday through Friday we had class, which lasted for 4 hours each day and will throughout the summer. On Friday afternoon we had our first session of cultural clubs. I will be learning traditional Korean music, in particular the drumming traditional called 사물노리 (sa-mul-no-ri). I went out all day with friends on Saturday, and we went to 경복궁 (Gyeong-bok-gung), the primary palace of the Joseon Dynasty, built in 1395. We were there for 3 hours and didn't even see the whole thing! Two of the girls rented 한복 (han-bok), traditional Korean dress, and wore it around the palace. We also had delicious traditional tea and refreshments in the tea house. I will be back at least once more, will wear hanbok when I go, and will definitely return to the tea house! Being at the palace was absolutely surreal, and for me, would be worth an entire trip to Korea. It is easily my favorite thing so far, and I am eager to return. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Famous statue in Gwanghwamun of King Sejong the Great, the Joseon Dynasty scholar king from 1418-1450. He is most well-known for his invention of 한글 (hangeul), the Korean alphabet.

 
Joseon Dynasty astronomical clock, also in Gwanghwamun

   빙수 (bing-su), a Korean shaved ice dessert

Some pictures from Gyeongbokgung:



14th-century palace beside 21st-century high-rises

Also beside the mountains on which Koreans have lived for thousands of years







Traditional Korean palace snacks: 연근 부각 (yeon-geun bu-gak) - lotus root crisps; 쌀강정 (ssal-gang-jeong) - rice cakes; 모약과 (mo-yak-gwa) - a confection made with flour, sesame oil, and honey; and 호두정과 (ho-du-jeong-gwa) - candied walnuts

Ginseng tea with ice

    My friends who rented hanbok

Comments

  1. Hi Josh- Loved reading the update. Looks fascinating! Would like to see some pictures with you in them 😀and hear about your host family as well.
    Blessings,
    Mrs. Smith

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Spend the Summer in Seoul?

Orientations & Arrival

Week 6