Week 3

Greetings from the house of God!

Sounds odd, but the name of the Seoul neighborhood where my host family's apartment is is 신당 (Shin-dang), and the meaning of the 한자 (hanja) - the Chinese characters from which the majority of Korean nouns originate - is 'the house of God'. Before this city was made the capital of Korea, and long before it was named Seoul, it was an important spiritual center, and Shin-dang (神堂 in hanja) was so named because there was an abundance of shamanistic fortune tellers there, a vestige of Korea's distant past that can still be seen all throughout Korea today.

History and religion aside, another week has passed by in Seoul, and I am daily becoming more able to use Korean in everyday life. On Monday we had our weekly meeting, and several people from the State Department came and spoke about safety abroad and further opportunities with the U.S. government. On Thursday we had our first official language supporter meeting. Every Tuesday and Thursday, we will meet in groups of 3 NSLI-Y scholars and one Korean college student to work on conversation skills and discuss Korean culture. This will be a big part of the learning experience here in Korea, so I will make the most of it. On Friday, I went to Gangnam with a small group of friends, and although I didn't get to spend too much time there, I look forward to going again because it is definitely the busiest part of town that I've been to. Yesterday my host dad and I went to the Seoul Museum of History and the Seoul Museum of Art, both of which were great. We came home and had a traditional meal, and I met my host grandmother! Today is my host brother's birthday, so we will have another special meal tonight. Thanks for reading this much! I hope you enjoy the pictures.

건강하세요 ~ May you stay in good health

Picture from last week of 부대찌개 (bu-dae-jji-gae), literally "corps stew". It originated during the Korean War when the then-poor Koreans would take discarded but intact rations and MREs and put them into a stew. Absolutely delicious; one of my favorite meals here so far.


Street food in Myeongdong


The view from my host family's apartment


The government-funded facility where I'm learning traditional Korean music


The entrance to the U.K. embassy, which is right next to the Seoul Anglican Cathedral, the church I'm attending this summer


Our language supporter, the other two members of the group, and me in front


The Anglican Cathedral - a mix of Romanesque and traditional Korean styles


My host dad and me in front of the art museum

Comments

  1. Love the photos, so happy to see you and the world you're experiencing this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Spend the Summer in Seoul?

Orientations & Arrival

Week 6