Week 4/Halfway Point

Dear readers,

As I write, I am refreshed to reflect upon my time in Seoul. However, I am also saddened. I have become used to life here, all the factors, large and small, that make this country drastically different than my own, and I am reminded that my time here is halfway through. Friday marked the halfway point, and I have been thinking about this experience, this way of living, if you will, and I do not want to leave. I have the privilege of being able to explore in everything I do. Whether it is in asking how to find a certain place, eating new foods with my friends, or gathering with my host family for a meal, I cannot help but learn.

I spent a lot of time studying this past week because the midterm exam was on Friday, but I still got out and did some fun things after classes. On Wednesday I went with a group of friends to 여의도 (Yeo-i-do), an island in the Han River, and after walking around and chatting at the modern-looking but aesthetically pleasing park there, we rented bikes for an hour and rode them around the island. On Thursday afternoon, instead of holding our regular language supporter meetings, we went into the city and had an adventure together! My group, along with a few other groups, went to 인사동 (In-sa-dong), a more traditional part of the city. We walked around the shops there and went to a 찻집 (chat-jip), a traditional tea house. On Friday at Korean music cultural club, we played several instruments in addition to the one we had been playing for the past few weeks. It was exciting to be able to experience the music more fully.

All day yesterday, all fifty NSLI-Yans participated in 한•미 (Han-Mi) camp, where we did activities in Seoul in groups with Korean high school students. Han-Mi stands for 한국•미국 (han-gook • mi-gook), or U.S. • South Korea. My group made 한지 부채 (han-ji bu-chae), Korean hand-held fans made of traditional Korean paper. I was able to make several Korean friends, and will definitely meet up with them again before I leave.

It was another full week, and I look forward to doing all the things on my bucket list during the second half of program. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

On Yeouido in front of the Han River

Waterfront park on Yeouido

Painting activity before the tea house in Insadong

My drink at the tea house - 수정과 (su-jeong-gwa) - a Korean traditional brewed drink made from persimmons, cinnamon, and ginger, garnished with pine nuts and served with dried persimmon strips. Unlike anything I've ever tasted; I can't wait to try it again.

My language supporter group in Insadong

Some fellow NSLI-Ans, some Korean high school students, and me out on the town for Han-Mi camp

Our whole Han-Mi group with our finished fans

Comments

  1. We miss you so much; it's lovely to see you in some of the pictures. We are thankful that you are thriving and that the summer is everything you hoped it would be! Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Spend the Summer in Seoul?

Orientations & Arrival

Week 6