Week 6

Hello all,

Thank you for joining me as my adventure comes to a close. This will be my overall second-to-last post, and the last post I will write while in Korea. Last week I did much, so I will only briefly recount my experiences and will let the pictures do the hard work for me! 

Since my time here is coming to a close, I have been reflecting on the impact that this program has had upon me. For the first three or four weeks, I simply went about life and adjusted to my routine here. I am still doing those things, but I am now realizing that when I return home, I will be a changed person. I will reflect more upon this in the final post, but I'd like to thank all of you for keeping up with this blog.

Last Tuesday and Wednesday, we had class as usual, but on Tuesday, we ended up just having conversation in Korean for an hour of class before we started working on our materials. That was quality time, but it reminded us that such opportunities will soon not be so close at hand. After school on Wednesday, I spent time with friends then in the evening met my host dad and brother at the famous 노량진 수산시장 (No-ryang-jin su-san-shi-jang), Noryangjin Fish Market. There, we ate 산낙지 (san-nak-ji), live octopus! It was moving quite a lot, so I had to chew thoroughly. We then went home and had a feast of the fish we had bought at the market. On Thursday after class, instead of our regular supporter meeting, we went with a few other supporter groups to Gyeongbokgung and wore 한복 (han-bok), traditional Korean dress. Afterwards, my group went and had a traditional dinner with our supporter for her birthday. On Friday after music club, I had barbeque in Myeongdong with friends and then went to the 찜질방 (jjimjilbang), the Korean spa. On Saturday, we did a service project at a nursing home. On Sunday my host family surprised me by showing up at church after my service and taking me to a historical site, the main cathedral of Korea, a famous restaurant, and a shopping area! I then joined some friends and went to a traditional tea house/garden and to a North Korean restaurant. It is run by a female North Korean defector who hires only fellow female North Korean refugees. It was a great experience to meet and talk with them. I hope you enjoy the pictures.


At Noryangjin
My host brother and me eating the live octopus
The octopus before it was cut up
Our 회 (hway), raw fish, feast after the market
Hanbok at Gyeongbokgung



My supporter group
Our dinner afterwards
A small portion of our barbeque dinner on Friday

Our meal at the famous 명동 교자 (Myeong-dong Kyo-ja) for lunch on Sunday

The interior of Myeongdong Cathedral, the original cathedral of Korea, consecrated in 1898  


The tea garden
At the North Korean restaurant with the proprietor. She gave each of us handmade pins that represent a strong U.S.-South Korea relationship and support for the family of Otto Warmbier, a U.S. university student who recently died as a result of his imprisonment in North Korea. Being there and speaking with her and the other women was incredible. The food was quite good, and I look forward to returning to the restaurant next time I come to Korea.

A Monday night game with the host siblings


Comments

  1. Love your pictures! Can't believe you ate live octopus!!!! 😲 Hope your last week goes smoothly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DearJosh,
    Big Daddy and I are so thrilled to hear about your exciting experiences in Korea. We are amazed at all you are learning and so pleased that you seem to have made many good friends among your fellow students and especially among the Korean people. Your progress in learning the language is impressive. We have prayed that you will be safe and have a wonderful time, and that seems to be the case. We can't wait until you are safely home and we can see you, hear first hand about everything, and give you a big hug. We love you and are so proud of you!
    Love,
    Grandmama and Big Daddy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Spend the Summer in Seoul?

Orientations & Arrival